Energy performance certificate

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performance Certificates were introduced in 2007 and are a legal requirement for a property to be sold, let or constructed. Once obtained, an EPC is valid for 10 years.

The Energy Performance Certificate will tell you on a scale of A-G, the energy efficiency of your home along with the potential rating after recommended improvements are made. The most efficient homes – which should have the lowest fuel bills – are in band A. Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions, the EPC will show the amount of CO2 emissions produced by that property in tonnes, and will advise on the amount this could be reduced by.

The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The EPC Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment. EPC’s apply also to commercial buildings and are rated only by Carbon Dioxide emission ratings on a scale of A-G.

Book a test today

How do I get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

If you require an EPC our team at Eecobuild are the people you need to turn to. 

Our accredited engineers will need to access all rooms as well as the loft. We are required  to inspect heating systems and controls, take measurements and take photographs of all key data included in the EPC survey.

The survey is non-invasive and a visual inspection is all that is required and our experts can produce an Energy Performance Certificate that is lodged with the central register.

Energy performance testing FAQ's

Below you will find a collection of the most commonly asked questions regarding sound insulation testing

    • Establishing the age and construction method of the property.
    • Measuring floor and wall areas of the property.
    • Looking at heating systems including the boiler, heat emitters and controls.
    • Identifying existing cavity wall and loft insulation.
    • Identifying any alternative heating (e.g. solar) and energy-efficient products (e.g. energy saving light bulbs).

Eecobuild will collect specific data on the property as outlined by the Government (RdSAP methodology). This data is then used to produce the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Eecobuild’s domestic energy assessors (DEA) will evaluate the boiler or the main heating system’s:
      • The manufacturer of the boiler.
      • The model if the boiler has a brand name.
      • The type of boiler you have, i.e. whether it is combi, condensing, non-condensing or a back boiler.

We will also look at the heating controls within the system for e.g. the thermostat, timer and radiator valves. This enable us to evaluate the energy efficiency of the combined heating system

The domestic energy assessor (DEA) will evaluate the types of insulation installed in your property. Existing insulation is measured and compared against current standards:

Loft insulation – The average depth of loft insulation is measured.

Cavity wall insulation – The existing cavity wall is examined externally, either visually or by looking inside the cavity determine whether insulation is present.

Double glazing – The doors and windows will be checked for double glazing.

Book your test today with one of our trained experts

    Do you have a question? Why not visit our FAQ's

    Our FAQ’s section offers the answers to a lot of the commonly asked questions.

    Visit our FAQ's